Reconstructed State House

The original building was completed in 1676 and became the home for the Provincial government in Maryland. Prior to its construction the Assembly met in many different buildings including St. John's. The current structure was built in 1934, as part of the Tercentennial celebration and is located 50 yards southeast of where the original State House stood.

VISITOR EXHIBITS

The Reconstructed State House

​The original State House building was completed in 1676 and became the home for the Provincial government in Maryland. Prior to its construction, the Assembly met in many different buildings including St. John's. The current structure was built in 1934, as part of the Tercentennial celebration and is located 50 yards southeast of where the original State House sat. 

dsrszxt-asset-mezzanine-16x9-wumbf7i.jpg

MPT Series "The Dig" and Dr. Henry Miller discuss how the legislative body operated in early MD. Hear the story of Mathias De Sousa: the first African American to participate in Maryland government. (Opens in a new window)

Gallery